The Global Learning Hub is committed to promoting access to study, work, intern and volunteer opportunities for LGBTQIA+-identified students. Participation in global learning can be a great way to explore a passion, enhance your resume and connect with global communities. It can also be an opportunity to explore how LGBTQIA+ identities are treated in varying or similar global learning environments.
The Global Learning Hub has partnered with the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource Center to provide support and resources for LGBTQIA+-identified students participating in global learning opportunities.
Before you decide on a global learning opportunity, research potential challenges and consider what support is available in that global learning environment. Generally, acceptance and support of LGBTQIA+ issues is increasing in the U.S. and abroad, but intolerance still exists in laws, cultures and individuals. For a more positive and safe experience, research the following questions:
- What is the tolerance level in the location you are interested in?
- What are the local laws and customs regarding the LGBTQIA+ community?
- Are there particular cultural norms or expected behaviors?
- What resources and support are available in the location you are interested in?
The following resources can help you make informed decisions regarding your global learning experience:
- Diversity Abroad – LGBTQ+ Students Abroad
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual Resource Center
- LGBTQIA Resource Center – LGBTQIA+ Ally Tips
- LGBTQIA Resource Center – LGBTQIA+ Interactive Map
- NASPA Gender and Sexuality Knowledge Community – State-by-State Resource Guide for Gender and Sexual Inclusivity
- U.S. State Department – LGBTI Travel Information