In Search of Scotland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Dates – TBD
- Max Enrollment – 25
- Taught In – English
- Prerequisites – Yes
- Academic Area – English
Scotland is a paradox. Independent or subjugated, practical or superstitious, forward thinking or forever mired in their own mythic past. This is a land where science and invention co-mingle with folk tales and myth. Great universities live alongside haunted graveyards, faerie mounds, and sea monsters. In Search of Scotland will explore the complex, contradictory culture, history, and life north of Hadrian’s Wall. Students will write reviews, travelogues, and feature articles, coming away with a deep understanding of Scotland, and vastly improved writing skills. Set primarily in Edinburgh, one of Europe’s most beautiful (and haunted) cities, In Search of Scotland provides intensive writing instruction coupled with field trips, ghost walks, and a three day tour of the Highlands, including the Isle of Skye, Loch Ness, and the haunted fields of Culloden.
- This course satisfies the UC Davis Upper Division Writing Requirement, while the directed group study provides Writing Experience credit.
- Edinburgh is very easy to get around, with excellent museums, galleries, restaurants, and cafes.
- The reading and film for this course are fun; you’ll also love our various guest speakers.
- The housing for this program is located close to many of Edinburgh’s most famous attractions—the castle, the Royal Mile, and the New Town.
What Students Are Saying
- "Going to Scotland was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was incredibly liberating to travel across the world alone and to land in such a beautiful city was like a dream. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and the Scottish people are so warm and inviting. I have never met such wonderful people as the Scots. [...] Not only did I get to spend a month in the most beautiful nation in the world, I had amazing adventures and earned 8 units in the process."
- “It was cool being able to see books 'come to life' in the cities we visited.”
- "I will never forget my experience in Scotland with Summer Abroad. Scotland is the most beautiful country imaginable and the program is designed so that we were able to experience all of its beauty and unique culture."